Calvendo goes USA
Exciting news: Calvendo has embarked on a USA test project and started retailing calendars as an Amazon.com marketplace seller. For the past few years, we have repeatedly looked into options to distribute your calendars in the USA alongside our core markets in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the UK and France. However, the very expensive and slow export from Europe has so far very much restricted the distribution of Calvendo products in the USA.
Then, this autumn, a couple of decisive factors came together that now finally allow us to “go USA”: We found a powerful US printing company to produce Calvendo calendars and we were invited by Amazon.com to sell on their platform. While it was actually already too late in the year to get such a large project on the way, we have still made the decision to plunge in, re-arrange our priorities and test this new distribution channel in the 2018/2019 season.
This means that most Calvendo calendar can now be ordered by US customers via the Amazon.com marketplace. Production and shipping are undertaken by a printing company in the North of the USA on behalf of Calvendo. To start with, the stated delivery times are a bit longer than in Europe as we don’t have the relevant experience with logistics in the USA yet and want to avoid disappointments.
What does this mean for Calvendo authors? Obviously, the US market offers new sales opportunities for your calendars. At the same time, we know that it takes two to three seasons before distribution and sales in a new market really work, i.e., until the test becomes routine. It is also worth noting that all erotic calendars cannot be produced by our US partner because of differing moral standards so that they will continue to be exported from Europe. In a nutshell: Please don’t expect any spectacular US sales surges but, together with us, look forward to the test results of our US adventure!
Holiday period: Calvendo jury on a break
From 20 December 2017 to 7 January 2018 including, our jury will be on a break and new calendars submitted during this period will therefore not be assessed immediately. You can, of course, continue to set up projects and submit them. Because of the Christmas holiday period, it will simply take a bit longer than you’re used to before you will receive feedback from the jury. And: should you wish to make any changes to already published calendars, you’ll have to wait until 16 February 2018.
Why? Because (online) retailers who’ve taken your calendars in their programme don’t have the resources to update their products during the busy sales season that we’re in now, and in order to avoid any de-listings, we keep this “resting period” for alterations. However, new work can always be created throughout the year!
"Resting period" finished
The 2017 calendar sales period is more or less over, and we just wanted to quickly let you know that the “resting period” for already published calendars has finished. This means that from now on and until September you can modify and optimise your published works.
In order to do so, go to “Projects approved by CALVENDO” under “My Projects” and click on the blue button with the pen symbol to open a project in edit mode. Should your calendar not have been updated to 2018 dates yet, it will automatically be assigned a 2018 calendar grid when editing it and, once it has been released by the jury, also a new ISBN.
Please note that every change to a project, no matter how small, requires resubmission to the jury for their assessment and approval. Current evaluation criteria apply and over the past couple of years quality standards have risen, i.e. there’s no automatic guarantee that your updated project will again be released by the jury.
Our sights are firmly set on 2018 ...
… and our IT is getting ready to start the automatic calendar update procedure in order to change the dates of your published calendars to 2018. We’re speeding this process up this year in order to make all products available as early as possible. Here are a few important facts and figures for you:
- Calvendo does assess the marketability of each published calendar 36 months (at the latest) after its first publication date (see also our FAQs: Submitting and Publishing my Work -> point 14). Should you have published calendars with Calvendo in 2014, you’ll therefore be notified in the next few weeks if and when 2018 editions of your calendars (including new ISBNs) will be published and made available to retailers. Should sales for a calendar have been very low or non-existent in the past, Calvendo will not continue publishing it for 2018. Such calendars will be removed from our range of products during the course of 2017.
- Published projects can currently not be modified. This “resting period” will last until 15 February. We’d also like to ask you not to try and update your calendar dates manually afterwards since the calendar update process is automated. In this context, please bear in mind that only calendars that have been set up with a flexible calendar grid (i.e. if you have ticked the “flexible calendar grid box “), will be part of this automatic procedure.
- If you set up a new calendar project now, it will automatically be assigned a 2018 calendar grid
- You will also find projects that you have started last year or even before but not submitted to the jury yet with 2018 calendar dates in your account under “Projects in progress”.
- Last but not least, 2017 calendars are still being sold by retailers at the moment and based on experience, this period will last until the beginning of March. At the end of this month, you will find projected sales figures for December 2016 in your account.
New Calvendo homepage
If you haven’t done so already, we’d like to invite you to take a look at our new Calvendo homepage, www.calvendo.co.uk. How do you like its new look? We’re interested in your feedback: take part in our quick survey
and let us know what you think!
Holiday period: Calvendo Jury on a break